A year or so ago, I wrote a couple of blog entries on precompiling
discriminating functions for generic functions, both given
mostly class-based dispatch
and also when
most of the methods were specialized on individual objects
(i.e. methods with specializers of class
I signed off the second entry with
Next up, unless I've made further oversights which need correction: automating this process, and some incidental thoughts.
and of course never got back to this topic. Now it's over a year later, and I can no longer remember either my incidental thoughts, which I'm sure were fascinating, nor my strategy for automating this (because this was an attempt to address an actual user need, in – if I remember correctly – a CL implementation of protobuf). Suggestions for what I might have been thinking at the time gratefully received.
Write more: you know it makes sense.